THE KEVIN JENNINGS EQUALITY WINSTON-SALEM SCHOLARSHIP
The Equality Winston-Salem Scholarship was established in 2013 to provide scholarships for students who have shown leadership and vision in a Gay/Straight Alliance at their school or in the general LGBTQ community if no such alliance yet exists within the school. In 2015, the scholarship was renamed the Kevin Jennings Equality Winston-Salem Scholarship to honor the generosity of Mr. Jennings and acknowledge the struggles he overcame as a gay teenager in the 1970s in Winston-Salem/ Forsyth County. This year Equality Winston-Salem will award up to $3,500 in scholarships to deserving students. Scholarship monies will be applied to the cost of undergraduate tuition, fees, room and board, and/or other college expenses. In any given year, if there are no qualified student/s identified by the scholarship deadline, funds may be carried over and awarded the following year.
Download the scholarship application here:
2015 Scholarship Application
Equality Winston-Salem 2015 Scholarship Guidelines
To receive consideration, an applicant must:
• Be a resident of Forsyth County, North Carolina
• Have a current minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0
• Be graduating in Spring 2013 from a Winston-Salem/Forsyth County high school or receiving an equivalent GED and attending a college, university or technical college in Fall 2015
• Demonstrate active involvement/leadership in a Gay/Straight Alliance, Equality Club or in the general Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning (LGBTQ) community
• Realize this scholarship is not based on financial need; however, financial need can be mentioned in your applicant letter
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 5pm.