THE EQUALITY WINSTON-SALEM SCHOLARSHIP
The Equality Winston-Salem Scholarship was established in 2013 to provide scholarships for students who have shown leadership and vision in a Gender & Sexuality Alliance (or similar LGBTQ club) at their school, or in the general LGBTQ community.
This year North Star LGBTQ Community Center will award one scholarship of $2,500, with priority given to trans and nonbinary applicants. Scholarship monies will be applied to the cost of undergraduate tuition, fees, room and board, and/or other college expenses. In any given year, if there are no qualified student/s identified by the scholarship deadline, funds may be carried over and awarded the following year. Since 2013, The Equality Winston-Salem Scholarship has awarded a total of $17,500 to local high school seniors.
Student Scholarship Guidelines
To receive consideration, an applicant must:
- Complete the scholarship application. The application form can be downloaded here: 2019 Scholarship Packet. Applications are also available from your school guidance counselor, GSA advisor, and/or at North Star LGBTQ Community Center.
- Be a resident of Forsyth County, North Carolina, or be actively involved with the North Star Youth Leadership Council.
- Have a current minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of a 2.0
- Be graduating in Spring 2019 from a Winston-Salem/Forsyth County high school or receiving an equivalent GED and attending a college, university or technical college in Fall 2019.
- Demonstrate active involvement and leadership in a GSA, similar LGBTQ club, or in the general LGBTQ community.
- Submit their scholarship application, scholarship essay, and recommendation letter by Saturday, April 20th, 2019 at 5pm..
- This scholarship is not based on financial need; however, financial need can be mentioned in your applicant letter.
- Any questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.